Retail Account Supervisor
Job Title: Account Supervisor
Division: Retail Account Services
Exemption Status: Exempt
The purpose of this job description is to describe the authority, responsibilities, and duties of the Account Supervisor in the Retail division.
The Account Supervisor is selected and placed into the position by the Account Director and SVP, Account Services. This position works under General Direction, providing overview of end result; work is completed unsupervised. Incumbent uses independent judgment and discretion to accomplish tasks. Plans/schedules/arranges own activities. Has considerable latitude of discretion and judgment within scope of position. Develops solutions to complex problems.
Account Supervisors are responsible for the brand stewardship and day-to-day execution of marketing and advertising initiatives for assigned Clients. They are instrumental in the development and implementation of new initiatives and assist in the 360 development of marketing and advertising plans.
Account Supervisors are responsible for building and earning the trust of Clients by providing both strategic guidance and executional support for the development of integrated marketing plans. It is the objective of the Account Supervisor to mentor a team and ensure daily workflows, roles & responsibilities and marketing objectives are properly aligned in order to best service the account. The Account Supervisor is responsible for activating and ensuring the efforts of the account team are running according to both the Account Director and SVP’s direction so that both Agency and Client goals are met.
- Lead and activate Omni-channel marketing strategies for assigned clients, while overseeing the development and the execution of strategy, creative and media plans.
- Develop strong relationships with senior level Client(s) responsible for development of advertising programs establishing regular communication to ensure expectations are met.
- Anticipate Client needs, keeping the Agency in the position of leading rather than following.
- Engage and activate both internal team members and the Client to maximize effectiveness.
- Provide leadership and day-to-day supervision of assigned team. See that all team members have the “big picture” on assigned projects. Encourage, motivate and develop growth plans by coaching, training and identifying opportunities.
- Work with Account Director and all Agency departments to ensure that our goals for Clients are met
- Ensure that all work is reviewed before it goes to the Client and is always on schedule. Implement a process for quality assurance amongst junior staff.
- Ensure compliance with Agency/Client scope of work guidelines
- Monitor clients business on a daily/weekly basis. Be prepared to speak to comp trends and sales trends on the spot
- Maintain daily contact with key leads across departments that are assigned to your account/s
- Be the igniting spark that is constantly on the look out for the next new marketing opportunity to activate for your Client/s.
- Act as the brand ambassador; subject matter expert and senior business lead internally for your Account/s.
- Identify and usher in new and different approaches to both Traditional and Digital channels that insure increased retail effectiveness for our Clients and the Agency
- Cross-train and serve as the voice of integration for Client problem solving and strategic planning
- Maintain contact with Clients responsible for development of advertising programs.
- Monitor and address performance of client business on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly basis to ensure strategy & metrics are successful, including performance of: TV, Radio, Digital, Search and Social media.
- Understanding and constant benchmarking of Comp Sales and Traffic metrics.
- Meet with Client/s regularly to discuss historical plans, current needs, current media situation and trends, upcoming opportunities and events, etc.
- Assure that Clients understand Agency procedures/systems. Obtain clear direction before taking action
- Schedule regular meetings to ensure expectations are set and met
- Prepare and steward the development of all Client presentations, plans, decks and reports.
- Assist Account Director and SVP in developing and presenting annual and quarterly creative strategies, and conduct strategic review/input sessions, as appropriate
- Work hand-in-hand with creative team in exploring new creative concepts for Client across channels. Provide ideas and input while facilitating discussion.
- Facilitate development of appropriate creative concepts that achieve desired messaging and builds brand equity in the long-term while meeting objectives for specific promotions/campaigns in the short-term.
- Provide all appropriate information and direction for development of accurate strategic briefs
- Write creative briefs for inclusion of necessary marketing information to ensure soundness and accuracy, as appropriate, to be reviewed with Account Director and SVP
- Ensure quality, timeliness and cost efficiency of Agency creative product
- Directly handle the production of Agency work. Attend shoots, when necessary
- Work with the Account Director, SVP and Creative team to develop the most effective method of presenting to your Clients
- Review any research results with Clients and present results as appropriate
- Confidently lead a team to deliver creative and innovative ideas that exceed client expectations
- Work with Account Director and SVP on planning needs for clients
- Ensure that media functions (planning & buying) deliver desired results for Client
- Assist in annual planning process and work with Media team in overseeing development of strategic direction, guidelines and budget parameters for plan
- Oversee the maintenance of fiscal year media budget reporting
- Provide accurate direction to planning and buying groups regarding changes in plans per Client direction
- Provide input and encourage development of new and added-value media ideas
- Work with Media team in development and implementation of multicultural media plans, if appropriate
- In coordination with Media team, present buy and post-buy recaps to Client
- Work with Media team to ensure Client is given up-to-date competitive media spending information for its markets
- Be a strategic leader and advisor for the team and client
- Actively engage and activate both internal team members and the Client to maximize effectiveness
- Partner with other internal departments to ensure that all deadlines are met and creative is trafficked within an appropriate time frame
- Troubleshoot issues and provide support to team in challenging situations
- Take active role in future planning and idea generation for Client, providing strategic input and formulating innovative solutions to existing marketing and advertising problems
- Initiate plan development.
- With the assistance of the entire Account team, develop marketing and advertising plans for Client (annual marketing plans, opportunity plans, creative direction, etc.)
- Develop market opportunity plans
- Present plans to Client, as appropriate
- Ensure that the Client is provided with the latest industry data and information for their key markets
- Establish regular competitive reporting for Client review (sales, share, targeted marketing efforts, share of voice)
- Help in developing business-building efforts across the country
- Assist in development of promotional solutions to market issues and review with Client
- Ensure that a written service report covering all Client meetings (and pertinent phone calls) is distributed to appropriate Agency and Client personnel
- Participate in an atmosphere that demands a business-building approach to Client’s business
- Stay updated on industry news and report any observations to the Account Director and SVP
Other Management Responsibilities:
- Participate in New Business activities, as requested
- Be a role model for junior staff to emulate. Demonstrate a strong business acumen, discipline, appropriate behavior, commitment, and loyalty
- Ensure that the Intern Program is monitored and carried out if you are assigned
- Provide leadership to the account team. Encourage and motivate all members of the team
- Assure that proprietary and other sensitive information is handled with utmost confidentiality
- Participate in establishing appropriate objectives. Where delegated by Account Director, conduct objective-setting and evaluation sessions with junior staff (provide results to the Account Director).
- Participate in training of new employees, when applicable.
- Bachelors Degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communications or relevant, equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5+ years as a Sr. Account Executive or Account Supervisor in a full service agency
- Experience launching mass communication. Deep understanding of media planning and buying process for Print, TV, Radio, Digital & Social.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with people at all levels of an organization
- Proven leadership abilities and managerial experience
- Thorough understanding of content development and creative activation for digital & traditional production
- Strong writing, presentation and client-facing communication skills (presentation samples may be requested)
- Good multi-tasking, networking, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Keen attention to detail and strong communication skills. Ability to communicate with people at all levels of the organization.
- A strong sense of urgency and commitment to get the job done quickly and with high quality.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks while working independently
- Must be computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook with the ability to learn new software & operating systems
- Positive outlook and good interpersonal skills
- A “DO IT NOW” mentality
The responsibilities are many, various, and not limited to those written in this document